Wednesday, December 9, 2009

My Vegan Care Package

Here we are again, almost a month since my last post. As usual, I've been cooking, and we've been eating, but unfortunately blogging has taken a backseat to life. I've still been testing recipes for the upcoming Happy Herbivore cookbook. This book is going to rock your world, you're going to want to get your hands on this as soon as it's off the presses. It's loaded with so many quick and family friendly recipes and utilizes ingredients that are always found in any well stocked pantry. To see a sneak peek at what you'll find in the book, check out the photos on flickr.

In addition to testing out all of Lindsay's recipes I spent 10 days in Hawaii over the Thanksgiving holiday celebrating my 10th anniversary. In addition to soaking up plenty of sun, I ate my weight in fruit and avocado. Plus, we found 3 all vegetarian grocery stores, and plenty of fruit stands to keep us sustained. Our Thanksgiving dinner was a pineapple tofu red thai curry. Beats a Tofurkey any day!!

Now on to the focus of this post. The care package. A while back I participated in a vegan care package swap hosted by Lindsay from the Cooking for a Vegan Lover blog. I was fortunate enough to get paired with Amy from the Tahinitoo blog. Fortunate because Amy happens to reside in Portland, otherwise known as a vegan's paradise. I returned home from Hawaii to this incredible box of goodies.......................

.....................a perfect treat to return home to!!

Amy took special care to include peanut free goodies so that Teeny could sample. We received a huge bag of kale chips made in Portland, some Mac & Cheese (which happens to be a favorite of my kidlets), some really incredible Indian dal snacks, soy jerky, fruit bars, chocolate agave, a quinoa bar, Funky Monkey banana snacks, some homemade apple butter, a locally made Thai Massaman curry paste (which we've made a curry from already, and it is superb), and shamelessly, my favorite part of the entire package, a Go Max Go Twilight bar (the vegan version of a Milky Way). Amy also threw in some non food items including a reusable produce bag (which I love and can't wait to get more of.....those little plastic produce bags are so annoying), a bread bag clip, a package of homemade note cards, a Food Fight Grocery sticker, some adorable owl stickers and kitty buttons for the girls, and an amazing bar of locally made soap.

I think it's safe to say that I hit the vegan care package jack-pot!! I can't wait to participate again.

Thanks Amy...............you rock!!!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I participated in the swap too, I got some really great things to try and it makes me want to search for more goodies around here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vegan care packages are definitely the coolest idea ever. Lucky you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! I'm @Redhead_RN and I follow you on twitter...

    I love your twitter updates and I also love your blog! Keep it up!

    any advice for vegetarians/vegan wannabes who are married to meat and potatoes spouses? I've been vegetarian for 2+ years but considering going vegan...is it possible when your spouse/partner/mate does not do the same? Any words of wisdom or advice, or blogs that you know of that I can check out?

    thanks!!

    Corey

    ReplyDelete