Monday, August 31, 2009

BBQ Ribz


Something that I don't do enough of is cooking out on the grill. It's the perfect way to enjoy a tasty meal on a hot summer day! Plus, there's something nostalgic about cooking a meal on the grill and eating outdoors. Some may think that a vegan diet limits your options for grilling. That couldn't be further from the truth, from home made or store bought vegan sausages to tofu to veggie kabobs vegan options for the grill abound.

A while back The Happy Herbivore posted a link to a recipe for vegan ribs, as well as a link to her mustard based barbecue sauce. The recipe immediately had me wondering how they would stand up to the grill.

Let me be the first to say that these ribs are awesome on the grill. I followed the recipe exactly adding the liquid smoke and paprika suggested by Lindsay. I cooked them the full amount in the oven. When the seitan ribs were finished baking I removed them from the pan and transferred them to a well oiled warm grill basting with bbq sauce as they cooked. Since they are already cooked, these only need to be on the grill long enough to develop those beautiful markings, and dry the sauce out slightly. My only complaint is that this recipe did not make enough to feed my hungry family. I could easily have doubled the recipe, and will next time. The girls loved these ribs, and Rob, who has never, ever liked ribs could not get enough of these.

As for the sauce........let me just say Oh.My.Goodness. I had no idea that there was such a thing as a mustard based barbecue sauce. I can however, safely say that this mustard based South Carolina style sauce is my absolute favorite. I can think of so many uses for this.

Try these ribs for your Labor Day weekend cook-out with some of that sweet, delicious summer corn. You will not be disappointed!

2 comments:

  1. Okay when I'm visiting, I don't care HOW cold it is, we are making these on the BBQ. I've always wanted them grilled. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are delicious on the grill. I made them for my omni family on Labor Day, and everyone loved them!!

    ReplyDelete