Saturday, September 13, 2008

Moroccan Vegetable Tagine

Tonight wasn't exactly perfect weather for stew (it was 95 degrees today, and so humid the air actually felt heavy), but I've had my mind set on making a tagine for quite some time now. Not only did the Urban Vegan post a tagine recipe a few days ago, but Vegetarian Times also featured several tagine recipes in their current issue.

The Moroccan tagine is named for the vessel in which it is cooked. I don't have a proper tagine, but a large stock pot will work just as well. Traditionally tagine is slow cooked, however this is a relatively quick cooking version with some of the veggies broiled in the oven rather than braised on the stove top. This recipe is adapted from a recipe over at Vegan Soul Power, however, the recipe there didn't quite jive with the ingredient list and I increased the seasonings, so I'll post my version of the recipe here. I served the tagine over French Cous-Cous, with a side of pita for dipping (or stuffing......Mairin enjoyed her tagine stuffed inside the pita like a sandwich). The ingredient list looks long, but it should be mostly pantry staples (I think fresh thyme was the only thing I bought special for this dish)

Moroccan Tagine
1 large eggplant, quartered and sliced
2 zucchini, sliced
4 Tbs olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbs fresh ginger, peeled and minced
2 medium yams, diced
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp paprika
1 Tbs ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 sprig fresh thyme
1/2 Tbs chili powder
1 8oz can tomato sauce
1 Tbs tomato paste
1 cup water
1 Tbs orange marmalade
2 cups cooked chickpeas
1 c. diced dried apricots
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat broiler. Place eggplant and zucchini in a colander and salt them liberally. Allow to sit a few minutes, then rinse, toss in 2 Tbs olive oil, place on a baking sheet and broil 20 minutes or until browned, turning once. In a large stock pot, heat remaining olive oil and add onion, garlic and ginger. Cook until onion is translucent then add potatoes. Add all spices, cover pot and allow potatoes to soften. Once potatoes are soft add tomato sauce, tomato paste, water and marmalade. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Add zucchini, eggplant, chickpeas and apricots. Cover and simmer 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve over couscous or grains.

1 comment:

  1. I tried this today for my son and husband, and my son is a VERY PICKY EATER but I wanted you to know it got his 100% seal of approval! So much so that I wrote it into my Big Book of Favorite Recipes that I handwrite in, of all of our favorite recipes for our family. My son is allergic to eggs but we are are also a plant-strong family! Thanks for creating it! I just popped over to twitter to follow you over there.

    ReplyDelete