Monday, April 21, 2008

Chipotle Chicken (style seitan) Burritos

Before he became veg Rob loved a certain pizza from California Pizza Kitchen. He ordered the Chipotle Chicken Pizza nearly every time we went there. Then Q-doba introduced their chipotle chicken burrito, and again, he had a new favorite dish to order. Since becoming veg he's had to order the pizza without chicken, and has had to pass on the burrito altogether.


While setting down to come up with my menu for the week it dawned on me that I could probably re-create the burrito at home using seitan. So, I decided to give it a go. I'm happy to report that it was a success. These burritos were so tasty. I can't vouch for how closely they resemble the aforementioned pizza or burrito, as I've never had either, but they were delicious all the same.


The burrito you see in the picture is topped with some home made pico de gallo (chopped roma tomatoes, jalapeno, onion, garlic and cilantro with a little bit of salt added in), and some Cilantro-Green Chile Sour "Cream".




These burritos are filled with a chipotle seitan mixture, black beans, romaine lettuce and avocado. I intended to add some corn kernels, but forgot all about them until we were actually eating the burritos, so, maybe next time.





Chipotle Chicken Style Seitan Burritos

1 lb chicken style seitan, shredded into bite sized pieces (I used White Wave brand)
2 Tbs olive oil
2 tsp dark brown sugar
1 cup diced onion
1/4 cup chipotle in adobo, pluse 1 Tbs adobo sauce (this makes a HOT burrito, if you prefer a milder flavor reduce amount of chipotle pepper to your liking)
1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes, undrained
salt and pepper
4 flour tortillas, warmed (12 inch size)
1 can black beans, rinsed
lettuce
1 avocado sliced

Heat the oil. Add the onion and sugar and cook until the sugar has melted and the onions have become golden brown and caramelized. Add the chipotle, adobo sauce, and tomatoes and simmer for about 10 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a food processor and process until smooth. Return to pan, add seitan, season with salt and pepper and heat through.

Spoon the seitan mixture down the center of the tortilla. Top with black beans, lettuce, avocado (and corn if using). Bring the sides of the tortilla toward the center then fold the bottom up over the filling and continue to roll until the burrito closes. Top with Cilantro-Green Chili Sour "Cream" and pico de gallo and serve.


Cilantro-Green Chile Sour Cream

1/2 cup Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream
1 4oz can green chiles, drained
1 handful of cilantro, chopped very fine
1 1/2 tsp water

In a blender add sour cream, about 2/3 of the chiles, and the water. Blend until smooth. Pour cream into a small bowl and stir in the rest of the chiles and the cilantro.

5 comments:

  1. Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Plotter, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://plotter-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, man! Those burritos look insane! I've never looked for seitan around here. Wonder if I can find it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. DM - They sell seitan at our local HFS, so you might be able to look at yours....or a co-op if you have one. You could also make your own, although I didn't have much luck with that, and will probably just purchase premade from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH. MY. GOSH. These look like the most awesome burritos ever. Thank you thank you for posting! Next chance I get to Whole Foods, I am buying the seitan and making these!!! (Maybe I can get there this week!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy crepes, those burritos look amazing! I'm afraid to let my DH see them, for fear he will demand that I make them immediately. Which I just might do anyway, after a quick trip to the store! :D

    ReplyDelete