Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Vegan Thai Fried Rice


I had planned on making vegetarian cassoulet in my crock pot for dinner tonight. As I was gathering all of the ingredients this morning I discovered that I had overlooked the fact that I have no white beans on hand. Oooops, can't make white bean stew with no white beans! I have kidney beans, black beans, garbanzo beans, black eyed peas..........all kinds of beans, except the kind I need.

So, now what? Well, it turns out I was having an e-mail conversation with my step-mom, Sandy, and she mentioned making fried rice. Ah ha, fried rice sounded delicious, and I had all kinds of things I could throw into that!!

I decided to make a vegan version, so Stella could eat it as well. Then I decided to throw in some Thai curry paste to give it a little kick. YUM!!

Vegan Thai Fried Rice
cooked brown rice (I used 3 cups dry, I don't know how much it turned out to be when cooked)
3 Tbs canola oil
1/2 large yellow onion, diced small
about 1 1/2 cups carrots, diced small
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup frozen corn kernels
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen green beans
4 Tbs Bragg's Liquid Aminos (can sub soy sauce)
1 1/2 Tbs Thai curry paste
fresh ground black pepper
juice from 1/2 lime

Heat oil in wok or large skillet until very hot and starting to smoke. Add in carrots and onion and stir fry for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and frozen veggies and stir fry about 5 minutes more. Add rice, and continue to stir fry until veggies are tender. Add Bragg's, curry paste, lime juice and black pepper to taste. Serve piping hot.

The only thing I can think that would have made this better was some cilantro for garnish, but I used it all up on Monday's curry. Fried rice is so quick and easy, I don't know why I never thought to make it before.

No comments:

Post a Comment